Friday, July 12, 2013

¡Chíngale cabrón!

I've already written about a number of the meanings of the word chingar, but the verb chingar is so versatile there seems to be no end to how many things you can say with it.  Today we're going to take a look at a few more.  And let me point out for those of you that don't know, the verb chingar is very Mexican.

Enough chit-chat, let's get to the point.  But before we get to our expression "Chíngale cabrón", I'm going to cover another expression first.

We've all had co-workers who maybe don't put in quite as much effort as they should.  In English we'd say they're fucking off or dicking around.  In Mexican Spanish the phrase you want hacerse pendejo.  I wouldn't say hacerse pendejo is as strong as fucking off, so I'd say it's about as strong as saying dicking around.   Hopefully you get the idea.

Chingarle cabrón means to get to work.  It's a vulgar way to say it of course, but that's what it means.  This may not be a perfect translation, but it's roughly the equivalent of saying get your ass to work, with the added implication of not just working, but working hard.

Here's an example:

Ya me voy, chingale cabrón
I'm leaving now, get your ass to work

I like giving examples to help you understand things, but I wanted to do something different this time, so I wrote a  short dialog.  Let's take a look at it.

Suena el teléfono

A:  ¿Bueno?
B:  Carnal, ¿qué onda?
A:  Todo bien carnal.  No más aquí en la oficina trabajando.
B:  Trabajando?  No mames, estás haciendote pendejo como siempre, jajaja
A:  Jajajaja, nel cabrón, hoy tengo mucho trabajo, no tengo tiempo para hacerme pendejo.
B:  Ni madres, jajaja, no te creo.
B:  Pues recuerdate que esta noche vamos a pistear y tienes que chíngale duro para sacar las chelas.
A:  Saco las chelas?  Chale wey, si no recuerdo mal te toca a ti.
B:  No seas codo wey, jajaja.  Sale, si netamente tienes mucho trabajo te dejo.  ¡Chíngale cabrón!  Nos vidrios.
A:  Orále pues.

Here's the translation.

The phone rings

A: Hello?
B: Bro, what's up?
A: It's all good bro.  I'm just here in the office working.
B: Working?  No fucking way, you're dicking around like always, Hahahaha.
A: Hahaha, No asswipe, I have a lot of work today, I don't have time to dick around.
B: Bullshit, I don't believe you.
B: Well, remember we're going out drinking tonight and you gotta bust your ass to pay for the beers.
A: Pay for the beers?  What? Dude, if I remember correctly it's your turn.
B: Don't be cheap dude, Hahahaha. OK, If you really have a lot of work I'll let you go.  Get your ass to   work.  Catch you later.
A: OK.

My translation isn't literal, it's basically the English equivalent of the Spanish version.  Translation is tricky sometimes, especially when it comes to curse words.  Their meaning can change based on context, and the fact that we don't always have direct translations.  The good news is I've already discussed some of these words before like Ni madres and No mames.

Chingar is a very diverse verb and if you spend any amount of time at all talking with Mexicans who like to swear, you'll quickly realize that this is a verb you need to understand.  Lucky for us someone wrote the book on the verb chingar.





El Chingonario. Uso, reuso y abuso del chingar (Spanish Edition)

I bought a copy of this myself and I have to admit it's pretty good.  If you click on the link or image or above, you can read about it at Amazon.  At some point I'll write a review and give you a close look at it.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you thought of the dialog.  If enough of you tell me you liked my dialog maybe I'll write more of them.

In the meantime, chingale cabrón so that you can afford to get a copy of the Chingonario and impress your Mexican friends with your new found knowledge of the verb chingar.


No comments:

Post a Comment