Friday, April 9, 2010

Esta chingadera no sirve!

If you don't know, "no sirve" is a way of saying something doesn't work.  I learned this from a taxista in Mexico when I went to put on my seatbelt.   But that's another story.

Now let's talk about chingadera.

Chingadera is a word used to describe something you don't know, or maybe can't remember what it's called.   Kinda like the word "thing".  Except it's more like "fucking thing".  I wouldn't say that's an exact translation, but that's probably the closest English equivalent.  Definitely not something you want to say around your grandmother.

So the complete translation would be:

Esta chingadera no sirve!
This fucking thing doesn't work.

Let's look at one more example:

Pasame esa pinche chingadera
Pass me that fucking thing.

If you follow my blog on a regular basis, you may have noticed how I combined pinche with chingadera.  Little by little we'll start putting these words together and you'll be cursing like a true Mexican in no time.  If you haven't read my entrada (blog post) on pinche, click here.

As you can see, unlike some Mexican swear words, chingadera is actually quite easy to use and integrate into your Spanish, should you be so inlcined. 

¡Hasta la próxima!

No comments:

Post a Comment